Here are the steps to installing the JSON viewer for Eclipse so you can have colored crafting recipes like they show in the videos.
The first thing you need to do is open Eclipse.
Next you need to click the Help menu in the upper left hand corner and then select Eclipse Marketplace.
3. In the Find/Search bar, type "json" without the quotes and press enter.
4. Find the json plugin that looks like a black O and then click "Install"
5. Accept the license agreements to continue. Then click Finish.
6. When the security warning pops up, click Install Anyways
7. Let the installation continue. Press OK if a box appears during installation.
8. Eclipse will ask to restart, click yes to restart Eclipse.
9. Close any .json files you have open, and then reopen them and they should have the color coded text.
That should help you debug any problems with your json files, especially crafting recipes.